Thursday, December 18, 2008

Smoke is coming out of my ears..

...because of Rick Warren's inclusion in the Obama inauguration. Read why it sucks here.

I understand that Obama wants to be inclusive, to be everyone's president, but I don't believe bigotry is something that should be included anywhere. Warren wants to deny rights to a minority population. Isn't that bigotry? Isn't that a human rights issue? I am severely disappointed.

We went to see the movie "Milk" on Friday night. Harvey Milk was my supervisor in the district where I lived in San Francisco. Harvey Milk was the first openly Gay official elected to public office . Harvey Milk also ran a camera store that never never lost my film (unlike the local one that lost some of my kid's pictures from her trip to Kenya) and Harvey Milk was a really great guy. Everyone should go see this movie. I thought it would be hard for me to watch - it was an incredibly rough time for San Francisco and it was also a really rough time for me personally , but it is a triumphant movie and is incredibly entertaining. It's not depressing at all.


But I digress. Milk was murdered along with the mayor ( George Moscone) by another city supervisor who could not tolerate Milk's sexuality( among other things). Fellow supervisor Dianne Feinstein found Harvey's body. Dianne Feinstein is now A US Senator from California. Dianne Feinstein is also the head of Obama's inauguration committee. And now an Anti- Gay pastor is delivering the invocation at Obama's ceremony. This is ironic. It's also making me a little bit nauseous.

I should say ,in Obama's defense, that the minister doing the benediction is a social progressive who is a strong supporter of GLBT rights. However, It peeves me (I love the word peeve) that Warren is speaking at all. I don't see this as a simple difference of opinion. How does Warren's anti- Gay stance differ from a racist stance?
Anyhow, if this pisses you off as much as it pisses me off I invite you to write letters, make phone calls, stand up and scream to express your displeasure. Start here .

No comments: