Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How did I get here?

I just finished reading an article in the New Yorker about second wave feminism and the 1970s womens'separatist movement- I knew one of the women referenced in the article. Women who just said fuck it all and took off and made art of their lives. And here I am, once so tempted by all that, being as boring as one can be. I am straight,and my desire for children made me choose the road more taken.
And I found myself with a powerful urge to hear this song, which has nothing to do with women, or feminism , or, for that matter, me. But it asks a whole lot of questions. And it is just so wonderfully bizarre.

4 comments:

tut-tut said...

There was an article in a recent NY Times about women's communities, still going strong.

crone51 said...

yup. And another one this week in the New Yorker- except the New Yorker one was about women who were nomads.. I think the nomad part appeals to me the most.

crone51 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ronda Laveen said...

I love The Talking Heads! And you are right, the song asks a lot of questions. Many of those women were so very strong and brave.

Ruth, I wrote a little about you in my Theme Thursday blog for today...your blog and new Facebook group. Hope that was ok. If not let me know, and I will edit out.